Productivity has long been an issue at work. Employees waste at least an hour at work doing non-work related things. Imagine, if people with 9-5 jobs (who works in an office) waste that much time, how are entrepreneurs managing?
As an entrepreneur, there are just times where you get easily distracted and nothing seems to get done – especially if you’re working from home. It can be a real struggle to focus. So, how can you break that? How can you actually increase your productivity?
Why Increase Productivity?
Yeah, why is it important to increase your productivity? Well, by increasing productivity, you’re able to do a lot of work in a short period of time. Saves time, effort, resources and not to mention, do more things -whether it’s for the development of your business or personal than just spending your whole day in front of a computer. (Sounds good, right?)
Simple Ways To Increase Productivity
Though, it’s always easier said than done. Today we came up with actionable things you add to your day to work smarter and boost your overall productivity:
- Have a Designated Workplace – if you’re working from home, set-up an office or designate a small space where you can do all your work. And then, design it like you would in a real office. Why? So you could focus better and be away from distractions. A tip is to place your office in a less busy area of your house to have some peace and quiet. This will definitely increase your productivity.
- Declutter Your Desk – not all of us work the same way, some people like their desk unorganized while others like it pristine and clean. However, generally speaking – it’s always good to have a clean desk. You’ll be able to find things easily and get motivated to do actual work.
- Spend at Least an Hour Reflecting – set aside a few minutes to reflect. Clear your mind and meditate. Meditation is a simple, effective method that can help you to improve your productivity. If you are completely relaxed and stress-free, then your mind will also work more effectively.
- Use Productivity Tools – utilize apps or softwares that can make your work easier and more efficient. Quick tip: read reviews and don’t hesitate to try various tools. Select an app that suits you and your needs.
- Time Your Activities – Allot a certain amount of time for each of your activities. This will help you concentrate and at the same time improve your time management, which actually plays a big role in increasing your productivity.
- Plan Your Day – List out all the things you need to accomplish ahead of time. Learn how to prioritize. Keep a little note of your activities so that you won’t forget them. “If you give yourself a basic framework for your days, you’ll be much more likely to pack your days with useful work that adds value to your life.” Srinivas Rao, a writer said.
- Remove Distractions – this might be the easiest yet trickiest tips of all, since we’re living in a digital age, the usual culprit for distraction are our smart phones and basically the internet. Keeping away your phone (set a ringtone for important calls/messages) or anything that can distract you is one of the best thing you can do.
- Work Less – A top public health doctor recently said that long working hours was a big cause of mental ill health, and a big 2015 study linked long working hours with an increased risk of stroke and heart disease. Basically, less work means more time for family friends or for personal development. Taking a break or minimizing your work hours also makes your more motivated and energized.
There’s no really secret in increasing your productivity. The key is to learn how to manage yourself, discipline and using the right tools. Having a good mindset may also help you to be productive so try to practice and actually implement these tips and in no time, you’ll increase your productivity.
The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.
– Walt Disney